Requirements for Hajj or Umrah
Hajj and Umrah are prestigious and sacred journey. There are some pre-requisites in order to travel for Hajj and Umrah. Most important of all is the visa which needs to be approved beforehand. Those going for Hajj or Umrah need to apply for their visa through an appropriate and authorized travel agency. Following are the requirement for Hajj and Umrah which will help you make a checklist of your documents.
- Get a complete original Visa application form. Read the terms and conditions carefully and then sign it.
- Someone having a non-Muslim name should submit a certificate from a Mosque or an Islamic centre before submitting the application.
- Two recent passport size photographs with a full-face view (no side or angled views are accepted) with white background attached with the application form.
- The passport should be valid for six months from the date of submission of the application form.
- A woman is not allowed to travel without a mahram unless she is 45years or older and she has to submit an authorized No Objection Certificate. Also the proof of relationship with the mahram is required in case of travelling with male members.
- Children under 18 are not allowed to get Hajj or Umrah visa of their own unless they are accompanied by their families or elders.
- A vaccination certificate of Meningococcal Meningitis should be attached with the application form. The certificate must be valid for three years. The applicant must accompany that certificate on entry to Saudi Arabia. Moreover, some other vaccination certificates are required including polio, H1N1 flu. Also, health experts advise following groups to take special care while performing Hajj or Umrah such as pregnant women, terminally ill, senior citizens and infants.
- The last date to enter Jeddah airport for Hajj is 4th Dilhijja every year. After this, no pilgrims will be allowed to enter Saudi Arabia for the performance of Hajj.
- All Hajj pilgrims must leave Saudi Arabia no late than 10th of Muharram. Likewise, Umrah visa is valid for 15 days (two weeks) only according to the 2023 rules. Make sure you depart within two weeks of the date of entry.
- A permanent resident permit should be attached in case the applicant is not a citizen of the country from which they are applying.
- Make sure to carry the luggage according to the requirements provided by the Saudi Embassy. Excess baggage can be shipped through cargo services established at Jeddah airport.